Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer Movies or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Same Old Schtick

After sitting through the awesomeness of Iron Man and the un-awesomeness of the new Indy flick i decided it was time to think of what six* "summer" movies I was most excited for. Obviously I had to throw the summer in quotes so you friggin movie snobs would realize I'm placing my finger on the pulse of the nation and going with my dumbed down summer comedy list.

Step Brothers: Will Ferrell playing the standard Will Ferrell man child + John C Reilley playing Will Ferrell = Genius. I know I'm a simpleton for eating this low concept vehicle up...but so what! It's on record that I hated "Chungking Express" and loved "Cabin Boy". Sue me.



Tropic Thunder: Everything about this movie screams awesome (sans the bad UPN-esque title). Ben Stiller channeling his inner Cruise, Jack Black channeling his inner Eddie Murphy, The RDJ channeling is inner C Thomas Howell by way of Soul Man. What more could a person ask for?



Choke: Sam Rockwell = The most underrated character actor out there.




The Wackness: Ah the summer of 1994. Good times. Funny how come I don't see anyone mopping up the floors of a Carvel after the fat sweaty masses descended on the Rocky Road "Banana boats" at midnight like there was an oncoming famine. Hmm, I guess I'm the only one who rocked the summer nights of '94 like that. Showing up at a house party when all the kegs were kicked w/ some stolen Fudgie the Whales and Cookie Pusses = Teenage Del swimming in the ladies.

FAT FAT ladies.



Pineapple Express: Aptatow's crew strikes again. To think if everyone had watched "Freaks and Geeks" none of this would have been possible



The Fist Foot Way: It is impossible for me to not see this after viewing the trailer. Andrew W.K. music and beating on old people is as close as a 2 minute clip can get to logging me into Fandago and preordering a ticket for me....with out actually doing so.



The Anti Awesome Award:
You Don't Mess With the Zohan: Almost a tie w/ Mike Myers' "The Love Guru". At least that has Alba. Oh Adam Sandler, I understand you need to give Rob Schnieder steady work, but come on this is getting ridiculous. Who would have thunk you could have sunk lower than:

Little Nicky
Mr Deeds
Anger Management
The Longest Yard
Click

"I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry"

I guess that's what happens when you peak w/ your first movie. That's right I just called "Billy Madison" the peak of fine cinema. Screw Off.



*the blog started as my "three movies" but I had a hard time picking just three. I have commitment issues.

----------------
Now playing: team9 vs. Stereogum - It's A Sweet Ghost Party

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics