Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Album of the Year by The Antlers: or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Become Obsessed

The Antlers - Hospice
(10/10)















This intimate yet grandiose album tells the story of a grief stricken nurse assigned to take care of a young girl who is terminally ill with cancer. Just to make sure that wasn't sad enough they also manage to throw in a song about abortion. This album makes Ben Folds' "Brick" sound like "The Thong Song." Sounds like a party doesn't it? I've literally listened to nothing else but it all day. I've tried to move on but I find myself transfixed by it. Hospice hardly contains the party starter subject matter of a "Feed the Animals" but it is as good, if not better. I know that's a bold statement, especially coming from me, but something about this CD grabs hold of you and squeezes feelings out of you...whether you want it to or not. I'm guessing this is what I was supposed to feel when everyone raved about that Grizzly Bear CD. NPR has named it the best album of the year so far and I'm pretty sure I agree with them. My obsession with that album got so bad that I actually took my noise canceling Bose headphones to listen to it while I went to sleep. To be fair it was also partly because I didn't want to hear my neighbor's awkward sex noises anymore. I need to stop. I don't want to over hype this more than I already have. I tend to do that to people. No one will ever appreciate an Apple Pan burger now because of how many times I've raved about them. Consider this a steak burger.

OK, No more typing for me, just go ahead and buy it and find out for yourself what I've already learned: The Antlers made a heart wrenchingly beautiful album.

NY, go check them out on the 21st.

Track: The Antlers - Bear

Grab em:

New York Hospitals EP (2008)
Download (free)

Cold War EP (2007)
Download (free)


No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics