Friday, May 11, 2007

Omega Deltron

Today is kind of a big day as it is the premiere night for "28 Weeks Later." Obviously I have my concerns because the director from 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle has NOTHING to do with this "sort-of" sequel. After IMDB'ing it I also see that:

1) the writer from 28 days later did not return
2) they had a team of 4 writers. Never a good sign

FUCK IT. I love zombie movies.

There i said it. Ever since I was a kid this movie genre fascinated me. Zombie movies coupled w/ the 80's obligatory World War III scare-athons had the reverse effect on me!


So much for trying to scare us cold war kids with your end of the world nuclear parables you studio suits!

I'd imagine myself running around the streets of NY as Del the Omega Man. Of course if the un-dead ever decided to rise and feast on the living I'd be a zombie slim jim. Slow and easily distracted makes Del a dead man walking.

To celebrate the release I'll list my 10 favorite zombie movies:


10: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

It's a remake, which i don't normally care for...but seeing the zombie birth reminded of me of my scariest childhood memory (besides catholic school): The birth of the alien lizard baby in "V".

At 8 years old, after seeing this baby I decided my future wife would be on a solo mission in the delivery room


9:House (1986)

The Greatest American Hero + Zombies = Box office gold! right? No...not so much. Even still, a fun movie. Plus you've got Norm from Cheers and Bull from Night Court ! Talk about a triple threat. Little known fact: Cliff Clavin was in House II. Stands to reason that you'd see Coach in House III and Carla Tortelli in House IV (yep...FOUR House movies. Amazing really.)

8:Grindhouse: Planet Terror (2007)

This is a speculative 8 as i have yet to see it. I can't imagine it not kicking ass. Tarantino and Rodriguez have earned the right to blindly get an eight on this list. I suppose I'll have to wait til Netflix to know for sure


7:Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The O.G. of Zombie films. Nuff Said.



6:Ed and His Dead Mother (1993)

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person to have seen this movie. It's "Pet Cemetary" meets "Throw Momma From the Train". I know, how have you NOT seen it? Truth be told I initially watched this movie to see the hotness that was Steve Buscemi's love interest in this movie. Come for the Hot chick, stay for the Crazy Zombie Mom. Smart studio. Steve Buscemi, even smarter.



5: The Omega Man (1971)

Before Bowling for Columbine showed the world what a friggin' nut bag Charlton Heston was this was his low point. Did i say low point? I meant his friggin' peak of kickass-ness. This man's agent must have been on crack. He went from Moses (The Ten Commandments) , to Monkeys (Planet of the Apes), to Mutants (Omega Man!) Let us also not forget the awesome "Soylant Green"! Thanks for all the hard work Chuck. You earned that gun.




4: Shaun of the Dead (2004)


Its the "Sybil" of movies. I mean that as a compliment. It has its bits of zombie action, tons of heart, and at its core it's funny as fuck. Very few things have made me envious of Brits. This, the "Up Series" and the BBC's "The Office" are it. They are the bee's knees and I hold them completely responsible every time i pronounce "literally" with a cockney accent. This is one of the few movies to earn the right to be ripped onto my new ipod. (Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin, Boondock Saints, and Better off Dead are the others). The mirrored dialogue from the opening and the ending is quite genius as well. I think.



3: 28 Days Later (2003)

This is the movie that changed the game. F/X wise it was simplistic in its approach to the point of genius. These "rage" zombies look pretty human, sans their rage eyes. That almost makes it scarier. The Supermarket scene is of course the very such scenario young Del would conjure up as a kid. Of course I think I envisioned myself in a "Spencer's Gifts". (Oh young Del, why did you piss away your paper route money). Added bonus is hearing Grandaddy's "AM 180.



2: Weekend at Bernie's (1989)


Talk about scary. Bernix Lomax back from the dead and playing Monopoly. Wait he's not a zombie??? i don't get it.
Unrelated side note: next time you watch this look for the 80's version of Amanda Peet. Which brings us to her other starring role...



1: Night of the Comet (1984)

Yep...you guessed it Mutha Fuckin' "Night of the Mutha Fuckin' Comet". The world's population is killed off by space dust from the tail of Halley's Comet. Hmmm, sounded plausible at the time. Correction, plausible AND AWESOME. Running amok on the streets is every kids dream. Sure I'd have to suffer from the occasional "mutants wanting to harvest my blood" attack but isn't wild unbridled rebellion and autonomy worth it?

You see it always comes back to this movie!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics