Saturday, September 15, 2007

Austin Day Two: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love LBJ

11:00pm Baby Mama Drama: Our cabbie was having issues with his ex wife. I was giving some awesome advice. Some real nonsensical shit. Sentences peppered w/ "You hear what I'm spittin" and "a'ights". I wish i had a better recall of it but I was in a Wendy's zone...and a bit drunk. Bottom line, he was so upset he didn't take us up on our offer for a free frostee. Shit's gotta be bad to pass up a frostee.



10:30 Cab Line:
This might take awhile. Now I have zero regrets about my bathroom break during the Arcade fire set. Game plan from here is Wendy's, shower, and then crash for tomorrow.


9:15:
Wow...that lasted longer than I expected. Sorry people. I'm sure it was 100% beer anyway. No harm No foul. Your sneakers reeked anyway.

Lucky for you the cup went forward...it could have been 10X worse.

9:02pm:
God what a relief that was. The game after that was the shift to the left and see how long the cup stayed vertical...mind you it was full to the brim.

9:00pm:
Unreal. I have to piss again. There's no shot I'm leaving this set though. What do we have here....Hello souvenir cup. Please God, let my bladder only contain 22 ounces.



8:30pm Arcade Fire:
The heat and BO was all worth it as Arcade Fire was awesome as expected. I'd hoped to hear "Cold Wind" as an encore. No such luck.

Big Thanks To Tiffany, Larry Bird and Co for saving us our spots.




7:30 Clap Your Hands Sort of:
Executive decisions were made. Beer and Bathroom runs (seriously I need a Cather at this point) and getting back to our friends for the good spot for Arcade Fire take precedence over Clap Your Hands. Fortunately I had to cross through the CYHS crowd so i got to catch two of my favorite songs: Satan Said Dance & Skin of My Yellow Teeth". Good Times.




6:45:
Winner of the "I couldn't have said it any better" award for Day II




Arctic Monkeys 6:30:
I have to say I was pleasantly pleased with them. They're kind of like an English Strokes...or a Less Heroin Infused Libertines. I think setting up camp early and getting a good space also helped.





Cock n Balls 5:55:
"Tattoo man, I'd like to have a cock and balls tat on my back...but can you make it subtle and maybe futuristic? Oh and its gots ta have wings!" DONE!




Andrew Bird Bathroom 5:30:
We met some cool people from St Louis. We had a lot in common. St Louisianans LOVE White Castle. After that we hit the bathroom line, which was LITERALLY a shit show.

The influx of people for day two made things a bit more challenging. There would be no way to pull of the scheduling. Time for an audible. We'd have to punt Andrew Bird...and Clap Your Hands (sort of) and anchor down for the Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire...as they were on the same stage. It sucked because I was very excited to see CYHSY. On the plus side, this allowed us more beer time.



Beer Time 4:30:
This is step it up time for beer drinking. The plan is to pound three tall "souvenir" cups, eat, and hit the bathrooms all during this short break. Time for the game face.

Mr Mook comes out to play





Gingers 4:oopm:
There are ginger spottings everywhere. Quite frankly its an alarming rate. I thought there were rules about this. Gingers can only go out in the sun for 15 minutes and they have to have umbrella hats and spf 1000 spackled to their faces. This one looked like she might be melting from the heat and sun. I'd warn her...but I fear Gingers.

What a world...what a world...



3:41:
Some kid just dropped right in front of us...at friggin 3:3o. Someone should have told him its a marathon not a sprint. He was sucking down bowl hits like his name was Woody Harrelson. Getting a picture was a bit tough.

"Brah, you shoulda worn a mesh hat. Shit keeps you cool...while looking cool!

Kid went down like Glass Joe in Mike Tyson's Punch-out.

People were yelling "Stay Down!" at him every time he tried to get up. He was ACL's very own Rudy Ruettiger.



Cold War Kids 3:35:
Some pretty solid drumming. It's a shame that their name makes them seem like they're in the same class as Fall Out Boy and Panic At the Disco. That said, they were a pleasant surprise.
It's nice to see Woody Harrelson in the spotlight again.


3:10 Austin City Limits: Officially sweating.

Cab 2:30:
Sharing a cab w/ two concert goers. Both voted for Muse over The Arcade Fire. What am I missing here?


Austin Hilton 1:30pm:
Apparently LBJ was a HUGE fan of Cisco's tamales. Who knew. Weirdly enough they were not on the menu. I got the "wolf omelet". Can't go wrong with throwing the world "wolf" in front or after another word to sell me on something everything. Wolf Omelet, Teen Wolf, and TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me". All awesome.

Cisco says: "No wolves were harmed in the making of this omelet!"

Now we're regrouping at the hotel before the show. Regrouping = showering for the second time thanks to the Austin heat. Good times. Should speed up the blackout process...that is if we can stay for the whole show. I did manage to pick up a puma wristband for today. It's so on Austin. Watch out!


Austin Day 2 11:00am:
We were early arrivers at the concert yesterday and what did that get us? An ass kicking by Lady Karma. Yes I know I need to blog the reasons for missing Queens of The Stone Age (kind of a big deal) and The Killers (I'm over it) but I can't do it just yet. The wounds are still too raw. Too soon.

Today will be different, I can feel it. We've decided to get to the show at 3pm. That will give Lady Karma less chances to fuck us. The plan is to see:


  • 3:30 - Cold War Kids
  • 5:30 - Andrew Bird
  • 6:30 - Arctic Monkeys
  • 7:30 - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
  • 8:30 - The Arcade Fire
Many a person is telling me I should be seeing Muse over The Arcade Fire...but I just can't do it.
Let me add this, there's NO SHOT I'll be catching Blue October, Stephen Marley, and WHAT, Sarah Hickman again??? WTF...How does she get two sets for this concert? She must have incriminating pictures of Austin's elite. That's the only explanation.

Maybe Hickman has evidence that fingers LBJ (One of America's biggest seekas* and the pride of Austin) as the mastermind behind JFK's assassination. We're headed to his old hangout for breakfast. I'll let you know if everything tastes extra salty in his LBJ's honor.


Putting JFK on your re-election buttons...a true seeka move.

*Seeka -
This is a word that got invented in college. It is a synonym for Scumbag. It was invented after one of my college roommates, whose name was Seeka, would do things like
  • filter his bong water in my other room mates Brita
  • urinate in his roommates bed...
  • light people's shirts on fire at the bars
  • Slam the top of people's beer bottles to make them overflow...and in true seeka fashion his overzealous slams would cause the other person's beer bottle to break. I always regretted showing him this trick.
There are countless others but its still too early for me to think. I'll add more later. Bottom line people across the school, and even the "townies" began using the term "seeka", often including a fist pump a la Jerry Seinfeld's classic "Newman". the practice still goes on to this day, much to his chagrin.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics